Here are the top ten tips that came from a recent IoD meeting in Berkshire:
1. Update your profile on LinkedIn: this is a tool to manage an extended network
for communication and CRM and a valued source of information. It is also a
way for you to establish and build credibility in the marketplace, but beware of
using it to overtly sell.
2. Think of social media as your new PR tool: it is a really cost effective way to
manage PR for a many businesses, but you must take as much care over your
branding and messaging as you would with traditional media. Don’t forget to
check on your own organisation’s house rules on media engagement.
3. Blogging is one of the most effective forms of social media, and it is underutilised
by many organisations. This tool can quickly establish credibility and
provide a more ‘personal’ insight into your organisation, but the golden rule is to
use it consistently e.g. once a week, twice a month.
4. Use social media as a method to manage existing customer relationships –
don’t just see it as a tool for new business generation and in any case recognise
that the cost to your business of attracting new customers is much greater than
retaining existing relationships.
5. Social networking usage can have an apparently positive impact on search
engine optimisation (SEO) and therefore the significance of your website.
6. “Crowd Sourcing” is a social networking enabled phenomenon, whereby
corporate market research can be carried out by posing questions to your
7. Twitter has potential business value due to its real-time nature. People are only
presented with the latest Tweets unless they choose to trawl back though older
ones and therefore it lends itself to “today’s news alerts”.
8. Don’t see social media as a replacement for traditional marketing methods: you
must do both. (One delegate had analysed the cost of generating a lead via
social media as opposed to traditional methods and found that the costs were
9. The mature generations need to embrace social networking – ignore it at your
10. Keep up to date: look for training courses and don’t be embarrassed by your
lack of knowledge, many people feel the same and you will find that you will
make many new contacts and also learn how to communicate with those
contacts in new ways!
Learn how to raise your game by visiting my website.