If you can't delegate you'll never grow your business past the point where you are working as hard as you can.
- Most business need more staff as they grow. Delegation is an essential technique for successfully distributing the tasks that you perform currently to these new staff
- One day your business will have to run (and continue to grow) without you. Even if this day is not in your plans yet, a resilient well-run business cannot rely upon one person
- Development and growth are great motivators for most people – so you should be actively seeking to increase the responsibility you give to your staff
- Your objective should be to delegate everything you do
How do you delegate successfully?
- Classify your staff to assess their readiness for delegation – plot knowledge & ability against attitude, decide who is ready now and what needs to be done to ready the others
- Evaluate what you could or should delegate – and start with the assumption that everything could be delegated if you really wanted to
- From the above two points identify who could do what
- When you have chosen someone, clarify what the value proposition is from both sides – what would you gain and what would they gain. Why would they want to do it?
- Clarify expectations
o Definition of success
o Level and limits of authority and responsibility
- Give them time to come up with their own plan to achieve this – and then agree it together
- Communicate the change and the reasons to all staff (and externally as necessary)
- If necessary provide time management or other training
- Once you have delegated, plan and carry-out regular reviews
o Provide guidance so they stay on track
o Share your experience
o Give praise and feedback – make sure they are learning
o DON’T take it back at the first sign of trouble
When not to delegate:
- When you don’t understand the problem
- When it’s too late
- Key tasks that amount to “ownership”, such as setting strategy, values and culture
What stops you delegating?
- Lack of trust in others
- Insecurity about your own role, capabilities and knowledge
It’s about LEADERSHIP.
This seminar "The Owners' Trap" will give you techniques for effective delegation - as well as the other steps you need to take to take your business on to the next level..
Learn how to raise your game by visiting my website.